April 01, 2020
Earth Day is celebrated every year on April 22nd to show support for environmental protection! However, it is important to be aware and make a difference every day. Here are some ways FSU Dining takes part:
- Trayless Dining to reduce water usage
- Eliminated plastic straws from the Dining Commons
- Napkins made from 100% recycled paper
- Lean Path to track and minimize food waste
- Plant-forward options offered daily
- Rewards use of reusable mugs with Eco-Beverage Card Program.
Learn more about what we do for our planet on our Sustainability Page.
STRESS AWARENESS MONTH
Our bodies are equipped to handle stress in small doses, but not long-term chronic stress. When our bodies are under stress, our heart rates and blood pressure increase which may cause sleeping problems. Balancing school, work, internships, and your personal and social life can create unwanted stress. Here are some stress management ideas to try:
Set limits for yourself: Recognize when you have taken on too much and be comfortable saying no to new tasks.
Eat well-balanced meals: We tend to over or under eat when we are stressed. Eating healthy foods throughout the day can improve your mood and energy, while desserts may only reduce your stress for a short time.
Exercise and relaxation: Develop an exercise routine and try out mediation or yoga! When in better shape, the body can fight stress better.
Keep a positive attitude: While this can be a challenge, focusing your energy on happy thoughts can help. Be mindful of your feelings and opinions and react accordingly– letting yourself become angry or upset will do the body harm.
Learn to manage your time: Create a schedule for class time, work/internships, homework, physical activity, and self-care to feel more organized and conquer the day!
COVID - 19: Do your part to stay healthy & protect yourself and others with these tips:
- Wash hands often for 20 seconds with soap and water
- Practice social distancing: minimize the amount of people you are with at a time to reduce exposure
- Ensure you sanitize counters, door handles and other touch surfaces frequently such as your laptop, phone and eating areas
- Do not travel if it is not necessary, there will be plenty of time to go on fun adventures in the future!
- Be mindful of stocking up on groceries: you may not consume perishable items in time, and there are individuals & families unable to purchase large quantities at once– leaving them with limited product when they go back to shop
For more information on what FSU Dining is doing to keep you and our employees safe, please visit this page.
For Sodexo's most recent updates on COVID - 19 please consult this page.
REMOTE WORKING AND STUDYING
Now that you are completing your studies online, it may be tough to focus and adapt to the transition. Take a look at these tips and tricks to conquer the day:
- Stick to the routine you had on campus: meal times, exercise, studying etc.
- Pick a place to do you work and stick with it: this should be a space you can focus with minimum distractions
- Set a time to stop doing work each day: this keeps you motivated and helps manage your time
- For more tips and tricks, see our Work Or Studying from Home Guide
HEALTHY SNACK IDEAS WHEN WORKING OR STUDYING FROM HOME:
When you are cooped up in the house all day you might be prone to munching on whatever you can find. Instead of mindless snacking, try these snack combinations to keep things fresh.
- Fresh orange and almonds
- Berries and 70% dark chocolate
- Fruit with nut/seed butter
- Hummus and vegetable plate
- Roasted edamame or chickpeas
- Baked corn chips with beans and salsa
- Greek yogurt parfait or fruit smoothie
Hey, thanks for reading!
Jaquelyn Litwak, RDN, LDN
If you have any suggestions or topics you would like to see in future mindful newsletters, reach out to email@example.com , or call 508-626-4602. I'd love to hear your input!